Mr. Kalyan Singh Kothari currently engaged as a freelance accredited journalist with more than 35 years of experience both in the field and at the desk. He born on 07th June 1944 and has done B.A. with Elective Subjects- English Literature Economics and Hindi Literature (1964) L.L.B. (1966); Rajasthan Bar Council (1967).
His professional experience in Journalism
- Currently engaged as a freelance accredited journalist from the Government of Rajasthan. Working -Journalist cum Media Consultant to various developmental N.G.O.s and U.N. organizations and regularly contributing news stories, feature articles and Radio and T.V. spots to print, electronic and web media. Experience (20 years)
- He worked as a Special Correspondent for `Rajasthan Patrika, a premier Hindi daily of Rajasthan for ten years at Jodhpur and Jaipur. (1962-72)
- For UNITED NEWS OF INDIA, a leading news agency as Correspondent at Jodhpur and later as Reporter cum sub-editor, Delhi and Jaipur Bureau for more than eight years. (Jodhpur 1964-67, Delhi and Jaipur (1967-68)
- He retained as a part-time correspondent for ALL INDIA RADIO (A.I.R.) at Jodhpur for more than four years. (1969- 72)He contributed extensive reports on two Indo-Pak wars from Rajasthan Border as an accredited war correspondent during the Indo-Pak wars of 1965 and 1971 for U.N.I. and Rajasthan Patrika Publications
- Regularly contributed public interest stories, especially on people-centered, developmental activities, Art and Culture.He completed several independent media projects for different international and national conferences. Published number of articles, out of these includes in-depth research articles and photo essays.
Experience- as freelance Journalist
- One World South Asia: Regularly contributed, grassroots news and stories on M.D.G. related issues under the consultancy contract with One World South Asia (OWSA) office of One World International Foundation (OWIF) From May 2007.to 2010
- Engaged for Coordination and facilitation input for OWSA’s work (Lifeline Project) in Rajasthan from July 2008 to 2010.
- UNICEF-Rajasthan: Engaged by the UNICEF-Rajasthan for their media support assignment from time to time on a contract basis. (2007-08-09)
- Institute of Development Studies, Jaipur: The Institute is a multi-disciplinary research organization for policy planning, monitoring, and evaluation, which jointly supported by the Indian Council of Social Sciences Research (ICSSR), New Delhi, and Government of Rajasthan. Working as Media consultant for the dissemination of research findings/news, stories/features for print/electronic/web content media from the last eight years.
- For the last four years, he has worked as Participatory Research in Asia (PRIA), Delhi, for broader coverage of the events and programs of PRIA- and widening outreach of PRIA’s activities and the issues.
- Centre for Community Economics and Development Consultants Society (CECOEDECON): He is working Head of Department – Communication and Mass Media from June 2004. He worked as Head of Journalism Course – Bachelor of Journalism Course affiliated with Makhanlal Chaturvedi University, Bhopal, for one year. Developed communication material on M.D.G.s for mass awareness during the Stand-Up campaign of the U.N. Millennium Campaign.
- Rajasthan Knowledge Corporation Limited: He worked as a Media advisor from October 2008 to October 2009.
Exceptional Achievements: As a Freelance Journalist
- Passed U.N.Information Examination Certificate of U.N.O. from Council for U.N.Information, New-Delhi (November 1958)
- He worked for seven years (2002 to 2007), based in Jaipur-as special correspondent of Web Portal “Prabha Sakshi,” New Delhi.
- He was selected as a recipient for the bursary on Malnutrition and Nutrition Security by the Communication for Development and Learning (CDL) with the support of German Agro Action (G.A.A.) and E.U. in October 2007
- Communication Coordinator (South Asia) of the U.N. Millennium Campaign recognized my role in bringing media attention to the M.D.G.s through write-ups in the newspapers of Rajasthan and organizing Standup against Poverty events in the State in 2007 and 2008.
- Water and Sanitation Program-South Asia, World Bank, selected for the Media Partnership Program, hosted in collaboration with the Department of Drinking Water Supply (DDWS), Govt. of India, in October 2008.
- He was among the 25 winners from Media professionals through a rigorous and competitive selection process – four from Bangladesh, six from Pakistan, and 15 from India.
- Micronutrient Initiative, Canada offered Consultancy contract (MI Agreement No 10-0906-MICRON-99) dated 12th February 2009 for organizing a media event at the Iodine Network Board meeting in Jaipur on 19th February 2009.
- Action Aid-an international development Organization, Jaipur awarded contract dated 22nd April 2009 for coordinating the media and communication-related activities for the Mahila Udghosh Sammelan on 25th 09th April.
- He also supported the formulation and in implementation of communication, advocacy strategies, and publications for the N.G.O. Sector and development organizations.
He contributed to the production of short documentary films on Malnutrition, Water, and Lifeline Education Project, etc. for N.G.O. Sector.
- He completed several independent media projects for different international and national conferences. Published number of articles, out of these includes in-depth research articles and photo essays.
- His work also involves writing, preparing media kits, and releasing to media for broader dissemination to the general public/selected groups.
- He was visiting Faculty for Communication/Journalism for the Indira Gandhi National University (IGNU) during the year 2006 and IIS University, Jaipur.
- He worked as Project Director for Development Journalism- A UNICEF sponsored program with Centre for Mass Communication, the University of Rajasthan for more than four years (2014-2019)
Coordinated Media fellowship through UNICEF and University of Rajasthan during the year 2017 and also coordinated media fellowship in nutrition in Rajasthan through Antra Foundation, Delhi.
- As a Chairman of All India Public Relations Society of India, Jaipur Chapter for five years 2007-2012 and as a Secretary of Non-Profit Organization: LOK SAMVAD SANSTHAN- a Jaipur based media organization since 2000.
He can be contacted at:
2/633, Jawahar Nagar, Jaipur 302 004 Phone: 91- 0141-2654543, +919414047744(M) E-mail: email@example.com