Jhalawar, a conurbation in southeastern part of Rajasthan was the capital of the past substantial state of Jhalawar. It is also the secretarial center of operations of Jhalawar region. Formerly, Jhalawar was referred in the name of Brijnagar. The illustrious Gagron Fort is positioned 12 Km away from the Jhalawar region. The origination of this magnificent, unassailable fort began as early as 7th century and was accomplished later only in 14th century.
Amazing Facts about Gagron Fort:
Gagron Fort is suspended on a summit at the amalgamation of Kali Sindh & Ahu Rivers. The River Water surrounds the glorious Gagron Fort on all the 3 sides. Gagron Fort is suspended on a low crest at the convergence of 3 rivers Ahu, Kali and Sindh. In addition, there is a profound conduit on the 4th side of Gagron fort. Gagron is one of the exceptional forts which are bordered and secluded by wooded area and water. The Mukundara mountain ranges are positioned at the rear of Gagron fort. A valley near Gagron fort is encircled by woodland that reverberates with screeches of parrots and peacocks. Inside the Gagron fort, one can find a tiny temple with deities of Shiva, Ganesh and Durga. A Dargah or Mosque of Sufi Saint Mittheshah can be found outside the fort. Every year, a grand fair is conducted here during the eve of Moharram. Saint Bhagat Pipa Ji monastery is situated on the point of Gagron Fort. Gagron is a region which has been sanctified by the terrific bravery of Khinchi emperors and the optimum forfeit of Royal Rajput women. A long time ago, Gagron was a swarming conurbation in medieval India. This place was the supreme city in the areas of Malwa whilst famous cities such as Bundi, Kota and Jhalawar were still budding to become visible as primary states on the sizable map of the nation.
Audacious History behind Gagron Fort:
Long ago, Gagron fort was established in 1195 A.D by King Bijaldev of the Parmara Empire. In accordance with the legends, it is believed that this place was also called as “Galkangiri” as the powerful sagacious “Garg Rishi” accomplished immense reparation and meditation in this fort.
In the past, it was beleived that King Alaudin Khilji invaded Gagron in 1300 A.D. However, the fort was conquered by King Jaitsi. Later, Raja Prataprao, the successor of King Jaitsi urbanized Gagron as one of the wealthiest areas in Malwar even before cities such as, Bundi, Jaipur and Kota emerged. While he denounced everything and wished to attain nirvana later in his life, Raja Prataprao relinquished the throne as he moved towards religious studies and became celebrated by the name “Saint Pipa”. He attained the merit of being one among the twelve sages of the “Ramanand Sampradaiya”. In fact, there is a monastery in Dwarka (Gujarat) in his name. The monastery is known as Pipa Math.
Once again, Gagron was invaded by Sultan Hoshanshah of Malwawho. He was the monarch of Mandu region in 14th century. Raja Achaldas Khinchi, the emperor of Gagron exhibited massive courageousness and gallantry ultimately attained martyrdom. The brave Rajput soldiers dressed up in Saffron and battled without any fear. Even, the valor Rajput women of majestic heredity underwent “Jauhar”, an utmost forfeit by immolating themselves so as to defend their soil. They tried hard not to make their region fall under the control of Sultans. They underwent Jauhar when they heard that Sultan has overpowered and assassinated all the Rajput soldiers while they stepped inside the Gagron fort. Even now, the Jauhar Kund is placed within the Fort compound. On noticing the martyrdom of Raja Achaldas, Sultan Hoshangshah was deeply inspired. In order to tribute the valor of Raja Achaldas, Sultan made the personal room of the Raja into a safe haven. Later, Raja Palhandev, a successor of Raja Achaladas Khinchi, conquered Gagron as a symbol of retribution from the Malwa Sultans. For a second time, the fort was under the Rajput invasion till 1532 A.D until Bhahdurshah, the Sultan of Gujarat invaded it. Consequently, Gagron fort was captured from the influence of Mughal emperors’ hands in 15th century. At last, in 16th century, the fort was conquered by Raja Mukund Singh of Kota. From that point onwards, Gagron was a division of the Kota region until the year 1948.
Ways of transportation to Gagron Fort in Jhalawar:
Gagron fort is placed at a distance of about 12Kms from Jhalawar city. One can hit upon a number of taxis and auto rickshaws that are available to arrive at the Gagron Fort from Jhalawar city.