Harnessing the Potential of Young Media Professionals for Advancing Sustainable Development Goals
12th June 2023 (Jaipur, Rajasthan) – The United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA) and Haridev Joshi University of Journalism and Mass Communication have signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) to collaborate on advancing the agenda of Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) in Rajasthan. The partnership aims to institutionalize and integrate population dynamics, adolescent development and well-being, and gender concerns into the university's curriculum.
UNFPA and Haridev Joshi University will work towards empowering the next generation of journalists and media professionals with a deeper understanding of pressing global challenges, fostering responsible reporting and effective communication related to
gender and human rights, reproductive and adolescent health.
The key areas of cooperation outlined in the MoU include:
- Training and capacity building: Collaboratively build the capacities of young journalists, media students, and faculty members on sustainable development goals, gender-sensitive reportage, and analyzing social development data.
- Curriculum and learning resources: Develop curriculum and learning resources to build understanding and enhance the capacities of students.
- Internship opportunities: Facilitate internship opportunities for students to gain practical experience in UNFPA mandate areas.
- Joint research and advocacy: Collaborate on joint research projects and advocacy initiatives related to population dynamics, adolescent development, and gender issues.
- Expansion and replication: Replicate and expand the partnership to other universities of journalism and mass communication at the state and the national level.
“Investing in the training of young individuals can unleash the power of youth voices. By training them as gender-sensitive journalists, we can cultivate a more informed and inclusive cohort capable of challenging societal norms, amplifying marginalized voices, and exposing gender-based injustices,” said Ms Andrea Wojnar, UNFPA India Representative and Bhutan Country Director.
“Being an educational institution, our goal is to turn every student into an asset. The University is proud to announce its partnership with UNFPA India to realize the goal of 8 billion possibilities”, said Vice Chancellor Sudhi Rajiv at the MoU signing ceremony. I strongly believe that this partnership will shape budding media professionals as agents of change who, in their future careers, will have the power to transform discriminatory social norms”, said Deepesh Gupta, Head of Office, UNFPA Rajasthan.
This partnership showcases the unwavering commitment of both organizations towards achieving Sustainable Development Goals and towards a more gender-sensitive and gender-equal media landscape.
For More Information and Media Queries, Please Contact:
● Pinky Pradhan (Communications and Media Specialist); Email – firstname.lastname@example.org
● Deepesh Gupta (State Head of Office, Rajasthan; Email – email@example.com
● Avani Singh (Communications and Media Analyst); Email – firstname.lastname@example.org
About the United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA)
UNFPA is the United Nations Sexual and reproductive health agency. UNFPA's mission is to deliver a world where every pregnancy is wanted, every childbirth is safe, and every young person's potential is fulfilled. UNFPA calls for the realization of reproductive rights for all and supports access to a wide range of sexual and reproductive health services, including voluntary family planning, quality maternal health care and comprehensive sexuality education.
Website – https://india.unfpa.org/en
About the Haridev Joshi University of Journalism and Mass Communication
Haridev Joshi University of Journalism and Mass Communication is a state university established in 2019 through the State Legislature's Act No. 11 of 2019. Named after Shri Haridev Joshi, a freedom fighter and former Chief Minister of Rajasthan, the university offers graduate, postgraduate and skill-oriented diploma and certificate courses in journalism, media, advertising,
public relations, and development communication.